Saturday, October 3, 2009

Day 3 A Full Day in the Hospital

More staff visits, more testing more checking.

During the night I developed a fever of 101, my sugar levels rose to 276 and my pain level fluctuated quite a bit. Staff began to monitor me a little closer by increasing my walks, insulin injections and pain medication. The pain medication caused me to itch tremendously so I was given Benadryl and switched from the morphine to liquid Percocet. I experienced a brief sad moment when I had to say good bye to pressing my button.

Checking urine out-put was also important; my catheter and urine bag were removed and I was expected to use the bathroom on my own; 3 times a day. Huh…easier said than done.

I spent most of the day sleeping between visits and phone calls.

After a several hours my temperature, sugar and blood levels were stabilized, and my walk times decreased from every 4 hours to every 2 hours. Walking is important to promote circulation and prevent blood clots.

I continued on my clear liquid diet no more than 2 ounces at a time of popsicles, crystal light, water and ice chips. I was still surprised that I was not hungry after 3 days of no solid foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Elie Lash